OceanMind is looking for additional senior leadership for a motivated team of fisheries and maritime domain analysts and compliance specialists working in a variety of different locations around the world. The role would ideally be based in Manilla, Bangkok, or our main office in Harwell, UK. You will help lead a passionate and dedicated team that are trying to improve fisheries sustainability globally.
OceanMind is an independent not-for-profit organisation that empowers enforcement and compliance to protect the world’s fisheries. We provide insights and intelligence into fishing compliance to those who can most effectively use it. We support government authorities and seafood buyers by providing expertise and knowledge paired with advanced technologies to enable responsible sourcing and effective enforcement. We use and develop innovative technology and analysis to track and identify vessels involved in suspicious activities or general activities of interest. We then provide this analysis to the individuals and organisations that need it to make informed decisions and take action. We also work with organizations to develop their internal abilities to conduct analysis and take effective actions with the types of analysis we provide.
You will be responsible for the day to day in coordination with two other Senior Fisheries Analysts. You will run all aspects of several projects, including development, planning, and oversight. You will also be expected to use your own skills for advanced analysis or compliance assistance. You will use your knowledge of fisheries operations and management and analytic skills to lead the production of intelligence reports and risk assessments. These intelligence reports may involve developing daily patrol recommendations, case notes, or risk assessments. You will provide training, mentorship, and guidance to the analyst team and ensure that all analysis is conducted on time and to the highest quality.
You will work with developers and other technical experts to enhance system capabilities and with external partners to further fisheries sustainability and maritime rule of law through OceanMind’s areas of expertise. You will be responsible for identifying and developing new opportunities that further the organization’s mission and build the relationships required to bring new projects to life. The position comes with significant opportunities for training and growth as you help this new organization grow and have the greatest global impact possible.
Main Responsibilities and Activities
- Lead the development, planning, and oversight of multiple projects in fisheries
- Provide leadership and insights to the team’s work to enhance fisheries and maritime compliance, and thereby sustainability, through support to governments and seafood buyers.
- Set the highest standard through your own behaviour and work to foster a collaborative and collegial environment for all team members and partners to excel.
- Lead the analyst team in providing daily monitoring and analysis of selected global maritime areas and fleets of interest to detect and document suspicious and possible suspicious activities.
- Develop and provide training to analysts and partners using your experience in fisheries compliance and analysis.
- Develop clear and effective work plans that leverage each team member’s skills and interests for the greatest impact across projects.
- Work collaboratively with other team leaders to make sure that all team members are working towards the organizations mission effectively.
- Provide oversight, including regular audits, of our quality assurance system to ensure the highest quality support to our partners.
- Constantly develop and implement ways to improve team operations with greater efficiency and accuracy.
- Be a publicly-known expert and leader in your field. Develop and encourage close communication and coordination with external stakeholders to enhance impact.
- Be able to distil complex ideas into clear and concise recommendations. The ability to distil the core of an issue and highlight through clear and concise written and oral communication is paramount. You must also be able to guide and train other analysts in this process.
- You must understand the architecture of OceanMind systems and identify opportunities to improve our systems, looking for ways to enhance the ability of users to make informed decisions. You must then lead others, inside and outside of our organization, in the development and implementation of these new features. You must also be able to help other analysts and users troubleshoot any problems and work with engineers to document and address any bugs.
- In order to understand our systems, you must also be an expert in all the benefits and weaknesses inherent in all data sources we may use. You must be able to incorporate this understanding into training and analysis for others and develop ways to alleviate weaknesses. You must also build relationships and conduct research that lead to new cost-effective data sources to enhance our impact.
- You must be able to lead business development activities from identifying opportunities to closing an agreement and then quickly convert into effectively run projects.
- You must be able to liaise with all internal departments within the organisation, following organisation processes and procedures, and reporting regularly on opportunities and projects.
- You should be able to identify and represent us at external meetings, workshops and conferences.
- The role will require significant international travel.
We are looking for folks that are great leaders, intellectually curious, organised, analytical, and really enjoy learning about all aspects of fisheries and the maritime domain!
- A focused and hardworking leader with a genuine desire to contribute to the sustainable use of ocean resources.
- Someone who identifies problems and fixes them without waiting to be told.
- Ability to independently lead teams in delivering high-quality results under strict timelines is required.
- Advanced degree in a relevant area strongly preferred.
- Ability to foster effective and collegial teams is required.
- The ability to demonstrate and foster in others strong analytical and communication skills is required, specifically the ability to synthesize large amounts of information, focus quickly on the essence of an issue, and communicate that effectively.
- Experienced with oversight of fisheries intelligence and monitoring, control, and surveillance (MCS), and data analysis or related experience.
- Experienced with training others in the exploitation of remote sensing (satellite radar, electro-optical, etc) and associated GIS analysis tools and training others.
- An advanced understanding of industrial fishing operations, supply chains, common fishery management tools, and compliance issues in the fisheries sector and the ability to evaluate specific fisheries or regions in the context of this understanding is required.
- A strong commitment to producing measurable results and instilling the same in others.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to guide others in the same, including an ease in briefly summarizing the essence of complex issues and means to address them. Strong oral, presentation, facilitation and written communication skills. Clear, effective writing style.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to identify and rectify morale or team cohesion issues; ability to develop and manage productive relationships with senior-level consultants, partners and others who contribute to the development of a project by anticipating possible outcomes.
- Permitted to work in the United Kingdom, Thailand or the Philippines.
- Ability to exhibit skills of diplomacy and confidentiality and foster the same in others is required.
Instructions to Apply
To apply for this position, please send a PDF of your resume, ideally no more than 5 pages, and a PDF cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please share why you are interested in the position and why you feel that your skills, experience, and motivation make you an ideal candidate. We look forward to hearing from you!
|Bangkok, Thailand; or|
|Responsible to:||Chief Fisheries Analyst|
|Responsible for:||Fisheries Analysts|
|Working Hours:||37.5h a week|
|Contract:||Permanent or limited term/ dependent on location & experience|
|Holiday:||28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays based on location|