Senior Fisheries Analyst
OceanMind is an independent not-for-profit organisation that empowers enforcement and compliance to protect the world’s oceans. We provide insights and intelligence of activity which impacts our oceans to those who can most effectively use it. We support government authorities and seafood buyers by providing expertise and knowledge paired with advanced technologies to enable responsible sourcing and effective enforcement. We use and develop innovative technology and analysis to track and identify vessels involved in suspicious activities or general activities of interest. We provide this analysis to the individuals and organisations that need it to make informed decisions and act. We also work with organisations to develop their internal abilities to conduct analysis and take effective actions.
This is a senior position in the organisation which carries a high level of responsibility. You will lead the day-to-day functions and delivery of the Intelligence and Compliance team in coordination with three other Senior Fisheries Analysts. You will run all aspects of several projects, including development, planning, budget, and oversight. The successful candidate will use their own skills for advanced analysis or compliance assistance to support the team. Your knowledge of fisheries operations, management and analytic skills will lead the production of intelligence reports and risk assessments. You will provide training, mentorship, and guidance to the analyst team and ensure that all analysis is conducted on time and to the highest quality. Attention to details and excellent written and oral communication skills are required to ensure we deliver the best possible outcome to our partners.
You will work with developers and other technical experts to enhance system capabilities and form effective relationships with external partners to further sustainability and maritime rule of law. You will be responsible for identifying and developing new opportunities that further the organisation’s mission and build the relationships required to bring new projects to life. You will work with a variety of countries across different time zones so experience of working flexibly and with a diverse range of cultures is required. The position comes with significant opportunities for training and growth as you help this new organisation grow and have the greatest global impact possible.
Key Role Deliverables
- Lead the development, planning, and oversight of multiple projects relating to the protection ofthe oceans.
- Provide leadership and insights to the team’s work to enhance fisheries and maritime compliance,and thereby sustainability, through support to governments and seafood buyers.
- Lead the analyst team to provide daily monitoring and analysis of selected global maritime areasand fleets of interest to detect and document suspicious activities.
- Develop and provide training to analysts and partners using your experience in fisheries andmaritime compliance and analysis.
- Clearly communicate and delegate tasks to support project delivery.
- Develop clear and effective work and development plans that leverage each team member’s skillsand interests for the greatest impact across projects.
- Work collaboratively with other team leaders to make sure that all team members are workingtowards the organisations mission effectively.
- Provide oversight, including regular audits, of our quality assurance system to ensure the highestquality support to our partners.
- Constantly develop and implement ways to improve team operations with greater efficiency and accuracy.
- Develop and encourage close communication and coordination with external stakeholders to enhance impact.
- Distil complex ideas into clear and concise recommendations.
- Learn the architecture of OceanMind systems and identify opportunities for improvement, looking for ways to enhance the ability of users to make informed decisions.
- Lead and empower others, inside and outside of the organisation, in the development and implementation of these new features.
- Support analysts and users to troubleshoot problems, working with engineers to document and address any bugs.
- Be able to deliver high quality outputs aware of the capabilities and limitations of the data sources we use.
- Develop training and analysis for others to support the increase of their knowledge and professional development.
- Build relationships and conduct research that leads to new cost-effective data sources to enhance our impact.
- Lead business development activities from identifying opportunities, proposal writing and costing through to closing an agreement and then quickly convert into effectively run projects.
- Liaise with internal departments, following the organisations processes and procedures, and reporting regularly on opportunities and projects.
- You should be able to identify and represent us at external meetings, workshops and conferences.
- The role will require international travel.
Key Competencies and Skills
- A focused and hardworking leader with a genuine desire to contribute to the sustainable use of ocean resources.
- ‘Think outside the box’ in order to foresee and develop new processes and applications.
- Critical thinking and the ability to question defined concepts or methodologies.
- Marine related qualifications/experience.
- Excellent time management skills working flexibly to deliver under pressure.
- Experience of project management processes and tools.
- Ability to work effectively across a number of projects and disciplines, often simultaneously.
- Good work prioritisation skills and ability to delegate tasks to share the load and the development opportunities.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to guide others in the same, including an ease in briefly summarizing the essence of complex issues and means to address them. Strong oral, presentation, facilitation and written communication skills. Clear, effective writing style with exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience of a diverse range of organisations such as Government, NGO’s and supply chains.
- Problem solving skills using a solutions-based approach with the ability to think on their feet.
- Ability to work proactively.
- Team player with people management experience.
- Personable and approachable.
- Solid understanding of commercial fishing operations, supply chains, common fishery management tools, compliance issues and impacts that threaten the protection of the marine environment.
- Permitted to work in the United Kingdom.
- The ability to distil the core of an issue and highlight through clear and concise written and oral communication is paramount. The successful candidate must also be able to guide and train other analysts in this process.
- Demonstrate the highest standard through your own behaviour and work to foster a collaborative, inclusive and equal environment for all team members and partners to excel.
- Ability to independently lead teams in delivering high-quality results under strict timelines isrequired.
- Experienced with fisheries intelligence and monitoring, control, and surveillance (MCS), and dataanalysis or related experience.
- Experienced with training others in the exploitation of remote sensing (satellite radar, electro-optical, etc) and associated GIS analysis tools and training others.
- A strong commitment to producing measurable results and instilling the same in others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to identify and rectify morale or team cohesionissues; ability to develop and manage productive relationships with senior-level consultants,partners and others who contribute to the development of a project by anticipating possibleoutcomes.
- Skills of diplomacy and experience working confidentially.
- Knowledge of Spanish or French would be advantageous.
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org