Agile Product Owner
About OceanMind & Our Values
“Come and help us change lives and protect the Oceans”
OceanMind is a not-for-profit organisation with a mission to empower enforcement and compliance to protect the world’s fisheries. Our work helps preserve marine biodiversity, protect livelihoods, and prevent worker rights abuse in the seafood industry using satellites and artificial intelligence to identify fishing activities and suspected non-compliance.
Every day, the team are contributing to work that changes people’s lives and helps protect the oceans.
Our core values underpin everything that we do at OceanMind. These are embedded in our culture and we live and breathe them every day in our work, plans, strategy, recruitment, management, and delivery. Our core values are Integrity, Respect, Unity, Expertise and Positivity.
Overview of the role
We are seeking an experienced Agile Product Owner to join an innovative and growing organisation based in Oxford. This opportunity comes at an exciting time and the role will play a pivotal part of a multi-year plan for sustainable growth, assisting with both defining, implementing, and spreading the agile transformation across the whole organisation.
You will be responsible for driving change from product conception to its go-live and will bridge communication between organisational stakeholders and Technologists, so it is key that you are a great communicator with the ability to engage with different people from multiple backgrounds, to understand and respond to their needs in rapidly changing organisation environment.
The Agile Product Owner will have proven experience in the design, development, and delivery of software products while being an expert in eliciting requirements, facilitating workshops, as well as validating and prioritising requirements. It is key that you have experience of working on technical projects and have an excellent understanding of technology and its impact on the organisation with an understanding of the full project lifecycle.
- Managing product’s mid to long term feature roadmap that is based on outcomes and aligned with the broader organisational road-map
- Managing and prioritising product backlog daily and as part of the team’s agile development processes giving time and attention to keeping a consistent record of historical events and an up-to-date dashboard overview of current work and upcoming milestones
- Meeting frequently with organisational stakeholders to develop a deep understanding of their department needs and how best to help them develop better business use-cases that are required to the overall delivery of epics and features
- Work closely with cross-disciplinary technical teams to develop and refine user stories and propose new product solutions to deliver innovation
- Clearly communicate product roadmaps, plans, benefits, and results of product improvements to a wide range of audience
- Identify and document requirements, clearly articulate user stories, journey flows and acceptance criteria to enable the successful delivery of technical features in a periodic release deployment
- Lead the consultation process with the Product Council stakeholders when presenting new ideas and sharing transparency of the product backlog
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the best fit Agile Process for the organisation.
- Translate product roadmaps and feature requests into models, workflow diagrams, Epics, Features, acceptance criteria etc.
- Participating and leading agile meetings with both business and technical teams
- Knowledge and experience working in a technology background
- In depth experience in using DevOps Azure
- Fluent in the Gherkin language
- Experience in using analysis tools & techniques including wireframes and business process modelling
- Good level of understanding of technical terminology
- Solid planning and organisational skills and the ability to always look ahead, highlight issues and risks, as well as providing solutions, whilst managing deadlines
- Excellent critical/complex thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in a highly analytical, results-oriented environment with cross-functional interactions.
- An understanding of Cloud technologies, their quirks, costs, and risks
- Expertise in the delivery of change, with evidence of the ability to work within a waterfall and agile delivery framework, i.e. Scrum, Kanban and/or other structured ways of working
- Track record of having delivered products or product features
- Knowledge and experience in multiple capacities
What you get in return
- 28 days holiday plus public holidays (pro-rata if part time)
- 2 days paid leave for voluntary projects
- Flexible working options (around core time periods)
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- Following a three-month period of employment, OceanMind will contribute a sum equal to 6% of your salary to a pension if you contribute at least 3% of your salary to the pension scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Life Insurance
- Income Protection
- Access to learning and development including opportunities to feed your curiosity to increase your understanding and professional development.
How to apply
- Covering letter which should set out why you’re interested in this role and provide examples of where your skills and experience meet the required competencies for this role as detailed in the job and person specification.
- Please send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com
Applications are reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to interview, appoint and close adverts early due to the volume of applications we receive. As part of your application, we may request that you complete a video interview that will form part of your application with the HR Team where a full job description and in person specification will be provided.
We therefore encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment as once we have closed a vacancy you will be unable to submit your application form.
Other Additional Information
- The role is home working based in the UK, however you will be required to travel to Harwell Innovation Centre, Oxford once or twice during the month. Covid-19 regulations are applicable at the moment.
- Applicants must be eligible and have the required evidence to support their proof of right to work in the UK as we do not sponsor work permits and work permits from other organisations are unacceptable as proof of right to work in the UK.
- Applications are encouraged from all candidates meeting or exceeding the minimum criteria for the role regardless of age, gender, orientation, race, religion or ethnicity.
- OceanMind are committed to employing people with disabilities and will ensure our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. If you require any reasonable adjustments either at application or interview stage please contact us.